What’s in a Family History?
A family history should include:
- Old photographs of relatives and heirlooms
- Genealogy charts (Pedigree Charts and Family Group Sheets)
- Copies of old documents
- Full names (include maiden names for women)
- Dates and the places of important events (births, marriages, deaths)
Use Family History Charts to Keep Track of Data
Use family history charts (on paper or computer) to show relationships and keep track of data.
- Family group record: Lists the father, mother, and all the children in a family
- Family tree or pedigree chart: Shows how you’re related to your direct ancestors
How to Create a Family History Record
- Select a 3-ring binder or scrap book to contain your information.
- Place a copy of your completed, documented pedigree in front to use as an index.
- Add a completed family group sheet for each family listed on the pedigree chart.
- Add copies of photos and documents that verify the information for each family group sheet.
- Share copies of your family history record with family members.
- Submit the information to FamilySearch to share with others.