Rural Whitman, North Dakota
Built in 1936
St. Catherine’s Catholic Church
St. Catherine’s Church
St. Catherine Church
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2006. The listing included one contributing building and four contributing objects on 5 acres.
It has a large grotto and three small grottoes.
DIRECTIONS: The Cemetery is located about 70 miles NW of Grand Forks ND. Take the I29 north about 22 miles and exit at the Warsaw/Minto exit. Go west on County Road 15 about 60 miles and exit left at sign on Country Road 22 about 1 � miles and turn left again at the church sign. Proceed � mile with the Saint Catherine Church on the right on a high point of land.
Lat: 48° 16′ 53″N, Lon: 97° 12′ 34″W
Sauter Twp, Sec 3, NE 1/4
Saint Catherine Church, Lomice was established on Jul 17, 1934 by Joseph Vitek (1886-1949) and Rev V.F. Mikolisek. Native stone was used in building the walls and the church was patterned after the style commonly seen in the Czech Republic.
The cemetery is maintained by Saint Catherine parish under the Catholic Diocese of Fargo. The church and cemetery are located on a rise of land surrounded by marshes teeming with wildlife in one of the most beautiful settings in Walsh Co.