Fertile, North Dakota (Historic)
Post Office Established: March 22, 1881
Postmaster: Osmund T. Hjemdal
Location: SW ¼ Sec. 26-157-54, Fertile Twp., 9 miles WSW of Grafton
Closed: June 7, 1883 with mail to Grafton.
FERTILE: This was a farm post office established March 22, 1881, with Osmund T. Hjemdal, Postmaster, and named by settlers from Iowa to note the fertile soil at their new home. The township adopted the name in 1882. It was located in SW ¼ Sec. 26-157-54, Fertile Twp., nine miles WSW of Grafton, and closed June 7, 1883, with mail to Grafton. Roger Allin came here in 1880 from Ontario, Canada, and lived in SE ¼ Sec. 22-157-54, one mile NW of the post office. Mr. Allin was the first township clerk, and was Governor of North Dakota from 1895-96. (2,3,25,40,75,415)(pg 64)