Forest River, North Dakota (Incorporated)
Post Office Established: September 20, 1878
Postmaster: Jesse B. Warren
Location: Sec. 28-155-53, Forest River Twp.
Incorporated as a Village: 1893
Peak Population: 236 in 1950
Elevation: 858 feet
Zip Code: 58233
FOREST RIVER: This was a rural settlement in Sec. 28-155-53, Forest River Twp., named for the Forest River, which flows through the area. The river was originally called the Big Salt River until 1878, when the name was changed to note the heavy growth of trees along its banks. The post office was established September 20, 1878, with Jesse B. Warren, postmaster. This site was crossed by both the Northern Pacific RR and the Soo Line RR. In 1893 incorporated as a village, reaching a peak population of 236 in 1950. The elevation is 858 feet, and the Zip Code is 58233. Dr. Alexander B. Field (1863-1949) was the town doctor from his arrival in 1892 until his death fifty-seven years later. (1,2,18,25,33,40,52,75,79)(pg 66).
“Graham Bros. settled in 1880 and opened a general store, and they were followed in short time by the Bates Bros., who also opened a general store. The post office was soon established, and William Wood was appointed Postmaster”. 1