Nash, North Dakota (Census-designated Place)
Type: Railroad Station built in 1890
Township: Farmington Township
Location: SE 1/4 Sec. 30-158-53
Post Office Established: July 11, 1891
Postmaster: Charles Hanson
Zip Code: 58264
Peak Population: 55 in 1940
NASH: This is a Great Northern Railroad loading station built in 1890 in SE ¼ Sec. 30-158-53, Farmington Twp., six miles NW of Grafton. The post office was established July 11, 1891, with Charles Hanson as postmaster. The Zip Code is 58264, and a peak population of 55 was recorded in 1940. It was named for the Nash brothers, pioneer settlers in the area, who later established a fruit store in Grafton, and a wholesale grocery business in Grand Forks, which evolved into the Nash-Fiinch Company. 2 (1,2,18,39,40,75,79). Pg 135
HISTORY OF NASH
Taken from “Walsh Heritage,” Vol 1, pgs 49-50
The community of Nash began as the small settlement of Sweden. William McKenzie, pioneer settler and attorney, was Sweden’s first postmaster. John Almen built a store at Sweden April 28, 1879, and the mail was distributed there, so he was the next postmaster. When the railroad built the line to Walhalla in 1890, Nash was established. Andrew Moen built a store there in 1891, but sold it to Hanson and Bakke July 11, 1891. The post office was located in this building, so Charles Hanson became postmaster. Charles Hanson served July 11, 1891, to March 22, 1908. Henry Larson served March 23, 1908, to April 15, 1918. Alfred Johnson served from April 16, 1918, to October 31, 1920. Monsebroten Bros. (Gus and Otto) served from November 1, 1920, to December 31, 1921. Oscar Monsebroten served from January 1, 1922, to October 31, 1926. Adolph Berger served from November 1, 1926 to April 2, 1928.
Fire demolished this store on April 2, 1928. The post office was moved to a residence where Gina Johnson served from April 3, 1928, to January 31, 1929. T. G. Thompson served from February 1, 1929, to April 17, 1932. Greta Rustan served from April 18, 1932, to August 31, 1934. Henry Monson then built a new store which was opened September 1, 1934, and the post office was again located in the store.
Thorvold Sorenson, the village blacksmith, who was a former pupil of Ole Bull, the Norwegian violin virtuoso and composer, gave the young men in the vicinity violin lessons. H. M. Hanson and Soren Sorenson played first violin, Conrad Dahl and Wallace Burrows played second violin, and John Larson played bass.
A recreation hall was built soon after Nash was established. Dances were held there, and it was also used by the Woodmen Lodge. A feed mill was built and operated by Mr. Bloom. Three elevators were built: St. Anthony, with Fred Stunkel as manager; National, with James Gallagher manager, and the Monarch elevator. The Monarch Elevator was purchased March 17, 1916, by a group of progressive farmers for $6,000. On ?? 20, 1916, a charter was issued to what is now known as the Nash Grain and Trading Co. The original Board of Directors included Albert Midgarden President; John Donnelly vice president; K. A. Thorsen secretary-treasurer; Donald Dike director; and J. H. Rutherford director. The managers were Albert Thompson, 1916-1919; Sever Nelson 1919-1921; Nels Walland 1921-1922 and Con Lillegard 1922-1937.
The potato industry became a major project in the Nash vicinity, and in 1916 the first potato warehouse was built. In later years several others were added. Joe Thompson, who lived in the vicinity, started buying potatoes in 1919.
Nash was named after the two Nash brothers who were local residents and who opened a fruit store in Park River and were also wholesalers in Grand Forks and later to become known as the Nash Finch Company.
Farmington School District 51 (also known as the Nash North Dakota School), was built in 1882. A typical day began at 9 0’clock in the morning and closed at 4 o’clock in the evening with a one-hour lunch at noon and 15-minute recess breaks in the morning and afternoon. The teacher in 1890, Miss Ella Parkins, was her own janitor and received a salary of 35 dollars a month, paying 15 dollars for room and board. The school records were vague in the beginning, but two of the first teachers were Miss Omlie and Miss Scott. School sessions were held during the summer months then, due to the severity of the weather, also held during the winter months. Teachers in the following years were: Ella Parkins 1892; Maggie Baggott 1893; Mary Gargan 1894; Maggie Baggott 1895; Maggie Ferguson 1896; Hilda Bakke 1897; Lucy Blades 1898; Clara Dahl 1899; Maggie Baggott 1900; Clara Dahl 1901; Annie Blades 1902; J. A. McCormick 1903; Bertha Newlander 1904; R. E. Finkle 1905; Emma Severson 1906; Florence Blades 1907; Edna Ilstad 1908; Evelyn Davis 1909; Julia Johnson 1910-12; Stella Tollackson 1913; Victor Dahl 1914; Ruth Nelson 1915; Cora Larson 1916; Julia John 1917; Agnes Dahl 1918-19; Lillian Monsebroten 1920-21; Emma Monson 1922; Lillian Monsebroten 1923; Verna Larson 1924; Ila Rutherford 1925; Verna Dahl 1926; Lillian Monsebroten 1927; Verna Dahl 1929; and Alpha Dahl 1930.
Walsh County Superintendents were: 1881-93, Dr. R. M. Evans; 1893-97, A. L. Woods; 1897-1903, Ben Tronslin; 1903-07, Jacob Sondreal; 1907-11, B. B. Wells; 1911-17, Edward Erickson; 1917-25, W. J. Hoover and 1925-33, Ben Rinde.